An SR-22 is required when someone who was involved in an accident or convicted of a traffic offense is unable to show financial responsibility (in other words, they can’t prove that they’d be able to pay for damages they may cause while driving).
You might need an SR-22 if you’ve had any of the following:
- A DUI or DWI or any serious moving violation
- An instance of being caught driving without insurance and/or without a license
- An at-fault accident while driving without insurance
- Repeat traffic offenses or too many tickets in a short time period
- A revoked or suspended license